Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Marshall Crenshaw

My friend Wayne Osgood originally introduced me to the music of Marshall Crenshaw, and his self-titled debut album was one of my very favorites way back in 1982. If you've never heard it, by the way, I recommend you give it a listen. It still stands up ... fresh and snappy with echoes of Buddy Holly at his best. I confess, I've lost track of M.C. over the years until coming upon his new release Jaggedland. It retains the same kind of energy of his early work and is definitely in the early running for one of my favorite discs of 2009. It's intelligent, well-crafted rockin' music about the affairs of the heart and the inevitability of change. Imagine an album with lyrics worth listening to where you actually find yourself humming the tunes later in the day. He also hasn't lost his touch on the Stratocaster. Great tone and economy of technique.

http://www.marshallcrenshaw.com

No comments:

Post a Comment