Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Black Crowes

Long time readers of my Top Ten lists will know that I have an enduring affection for Southern Stoner Rock, resulting from early imprinting by the Allmans, Skynyrd and their redneck brethren from the classic era. I confess I've never been a particularly big fan of the Black Crowes, but I'm definitely high on their new release Before the Frost... It was recorded live in Levon Helm's barn studio before a small but appreciative audience, and something about the setting has definitely brought out the best in these guys. Their sound is rich and nuanced. This is a vibrant, energetic set, but it's not just about the chooglin'. Certainly, there are abundant big Stones-y riffs as one might expect, but also moments of lyricism as well. This one has quickly made it into heavy rotation on my car stereo system. Good drivin' music!

www.blackcrowes.com

www.lala.com/#artist.The_Black_Crowes

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Tom...I could not wait for your annual holiday list. I met this phenomenal blues singer in New Orleans who never wanted toleave her community...just wanted to sing to her friends and I thought of you. Her name is Marva Wright! Take care, Kathryn

    ReplyDelete